10-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Arrow Skyline Run: WV | Oct 22-23

Skyline Run: WV

The final Skyline Run of the year and this time we are going to the best roads this side of the Rocky's. While in Virginia the best roads are strictly 35MPH, in West Virginia, it's 55MPH almost everywhere or not posted at all. Having two cars in front of you is considered "heavy traffic". And the views will make you wish you had a convertible. These roads, this experience, is the reason why we bought these cars.

We will meet Saturday at 9:00am and leave at 9:30am. Meeting location is the Warrenton Towne Centre.
613 Frost Avenue
Warrenton, VA 20186-3021

From there we will take 211 over the mountains to I81 and heading to WV through Harrisonburg, stopping there for the M5's to refuel. Then we'll continue over some awesome mountains into WV, stopping again for a short break/refuel before taking great back roads to our lunch location, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. Now I don't plan on us all doing a tour but if you want to, go for it! It takes less than an hour and is only $3! We'll then continue over the tallest mountain in WV, stopping one more time for a breather before continuing to Lewisburg, WV where the hotels are.

Around Coleman Dr. are a bunch of hotels. Holiday Inn, Marriott, but the Quality Inn is the only one with a restaurant and therefor beer. There's also a Ruby Tuesday's across the street that I imagine we'll be eating dinner at. This isn't Reston Town Center, it's WV, so just grab a beer and enjoy it's simple, slow, relaxing pace

Sunday morning I imagine a majority would want to take the highway the whole way back home but I encourage you to go on one last road, Hot Springs Rd. This road just has S turns after S turns leading a to a spectacular waterfall. We'll continue on the road to a small town with a gas station and restrooms and then over the mountains back into VA and downtown Staunton. Now if you haven't been to downtown Staunton recently, it's pretty nice, like Middleburg, with a lot of great hole-in-the wall restaurants. This is where we'll have lunch and end the Run.

Route Plan:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...93186,4.216003

You only need to go into Google Street View at any point along this route to see how awesome it is. Download this to your phone, print it out, if you get lost or separated, just meet us at the next stop point.

Here's some pictures and video I took while testing out the route last November. The leaves should still be on the trees and changing while we're there. Bring your video cams, I want to make a great video of this Run!

Skyline Run:

Skyline Run II

Appreciate 0