09-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #49
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
I read somewhere recently that Toyota and BMW were originally planning to share a significant number of parts between the Z4 and Supra, but through the course of development, Toyota ended up developing everything in-house except for the drive train, which obviously came from BMW. In other words, I think this is far from a re-skinned Z4. We shall see once we learn more from the production vehicles.
Ah I have to disagree. A quick look at the engine bay and interior and you can see how much of this is typical BMW engineering. I haven't paid close attention to all the supra news, but I would like to see underneath (suspension, etc.) to see if those are also rooted in german engineering.

I don't doubt that Toyota was involved, but I would like to know where and what they focused on designing. As someone who works for a Japanese company (automotive engineering) I would be intrigued to know how they worked together on this project, since my experience has lead me to believe that european/american companies take a much different approach to design and development.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0