08-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
So this morning I received an invitation email for a survey from the BMW Board of Drivers panel. Upon following the link, it asked me a couple beginning questions about if I still have my current car, etc. It then went into a description of what Driving Assistance Plus and Driving Assistance Professional are and the differences between them, and also explained what Parking Assistance was.

The survey then offered me a list of options to choose which I would consider, and the options for them were monthly/annual plans, in a fashion similar to how Apple CarPlay has moved to an annual plan instead of paying upfront for it. I don't recall the DA+ pricing, but the Driving Assistance Professional(the higher end option of the two) was offered two options, either a monthly charge of $25.00 or an annual charge of $240(the equivalent of $20/mo). The Parking Assistance option was ridiculously priced in my opinion, either $70/mo or $780 annually($65/mo equivalent).

Unfortunately, there was no option for me to select that I would not like those options to be priced like that, and would rather pay the upfront cost rather than have to pay monthly for them. It makes me wonder if even more options/features will end up going towards this type of pricing structure in the future.

I selected "none" and then it asked me why, and I had to type a response. I type in "features like these should not be a subscription, they should either be an additional package with a 1 time cost, or "standard" with an increased cost to the vehicle.

Unfortunately, even though I got this survey, I think their target market is not my generation (I am 50) but my son's generation (who is 25).

I am not a fan of "software as a service" business models, for example, I prefer to pay once instead of monthly.
Appreciate 10
lab_rat394.50
Ibiza3611.50
2000cs3502.50
ted99242.00
JMAN1111227.00