View Single Post
      03-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post
I hear that the SRF and other high performance brake fluids don't have a long service life. Sounds like a year tops versus say two years with OEM fluid.

What is the explanation of this? Are these racing fluids simply more hygroscopic? Is Castrol SRF any harder on brake lines, piston seals, etc.? Will I notice a softer pedal with SRF because of increased compressibility?

I have first track days of the season in a couple weeks. I do about 3 or 4 a year and don't want to flush (or even bleed) more than once a year. Stock brakes with PFC 08s and Ti shields. Ran ATE last year without issue, but stock tires kept me from pushing very long. Better tires this season makes me believe the ATE will boil.
I believe that the explanation for this is that performance brake fluids with higher dry boiling temps tend to be more hygroscopic than your run-of-the-mill DOT4 brake fluid which will cause degradation in performance sooner and tend to increase moisture in the brake lines.

SRF however has a much higher wet boiling point than most other brake fluids which presumably means that you can keep it in the system for longer than your average performance DOT4. That being said I've kept Motul RBF600 in for about a year (got lazy) and haven't really noticed anything bad one way or the other.

Regarding PFC DD V3 rotors:
http://www.hpashop.com/Performance-F...C-DD-1M-M3.htm
Appreciate 0