Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
is the help with pad life pretty significant? that alone would make it worth getting some ducting setup. i haven't had any problems at the track. the brakes stay consistent when hot, but if i could get better performance and longer pad life, thats a win-win.
I don't have enough data to determine how much the ducts helped. I think it is significant enough to justify the $200 for the ducting in my E46 M3. I wouldn't drop $300 on CF backing plates and another $300 on a kit. I honestly don't understand that but to each their own.

I'm getting about 5 weekends on a set of front pads in my E46. If I had to guess, I think I can get 6-7 with the ducting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I'm aware of the benefits of brake ducts. But I think we can mostly agree that your level of skill is the end determining factor. I'm not an awesome driver but I think I'm decent and I know that my particular car has way more potential than I do as a driver.

That's all I was pointing out. I do understand that mods give a person more confidence and can make that person drive better. It's a continuous black hole and we have an addict thread for that lols. But at the same time I see dudes who never tracked before with full aero packages talking about how they can feel the downforce working on turn x failing to realize a stock car could have handled that turn easily at those speeds.

I get it though - people have their own preferences and mine is just that - a preference and opinion. But you know what people hammered into me when I was starting out or when looking to the fastest drivers along this path - maximize the car and your skill. And that's stuck with me. But to each their own.

The smoking brakes wasn't an achievement to call out it rather that it can and does happen. But I'll be damned if I was the guy who needed it because I was coasting on brakes too much or just over braking in general.

That's what I learned from being on this forum.
I'm all about modding the driver vs dropping $$$ to make yourself look fast. But I would consider brake ducting a smart reliability related mod in every case for an E9X M3. I also agree...before you come in with plumes of smoke radiating from your brakes, may want to consider other techniques and new skills to find other ways to make it around the track quickly.

Threshold braking is important for a beginner. What drives me nuts is hopping into an advanced student's car and they still just hammer away at the brakes into every damned turn. That just tells me that they don't get it. A really good driver will drive just as fast a lap using up less brakes, tires, and fuel.

The simple fact is...brakes never make the car go faster. So braking harder and harder just makes the car go slower and slower because the car is no longer maximizing traction at all 4 corners. I guess you can go buy better coilovers with stiffer springs and a $4000+ 2 way diff which will make the car better. A much easier way is to find ways to maintain momentum through the turn and get back to the throttle sooner.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00