View Single Post
      08-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The GTR is quintessential Japanese it its design philosophy in that it is completely utilitarian, and not at all artistic. So, yes, I believe the cup holders work well. In fact, the entire car is completely masterful in its execution as an instrument for ultimate speed. It fails in the artistic execution of things. Most high-end cars give at least some thought to this.

For me, the subjective is just as important, if not more than the objective. I am not a pro race car driver so obtaining the fastest lap times on a given track is not even remotely important to me. I drive for the fun of it. That obviously includes a certain amount of absolute performance capability in a car (which the M3 does provide), but also, the looks, the feel, the sounds, aesthetically pleasing environment, comforts, etc.

My other life long hobby has been alpine skiing. I really couldn't care less about racing skiis, or which skiis have had the best success on the World Cup Circuit. I like to ski wide open bowls, trees, and powder and bumps. Sure I want a high level ski, but the fastest ski on the market just wouldn't suit the type of skiing that gives me the most enjoyment.

Still, for those who are hell bent on owning the biggest and baddest, the GTR certainly is up there. And when did this turn into another GTR thread anyway !!??
No offense to you, but your comment regarding the lack of artistry in Japanese design philophy exposes your ethnocentric outlook/ignorance of Asian art and culture. You might want to google Japanese art/philosophy sometime or read up on Japan in Wikipedia.
Appreciate 0