10-15-2020, 05:05 AM   #1872
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
That's not really the problem. There's no problem with shell variation within each ACL pack. The problem is that in each ACL kit (and King/etc) there are two packs. This is where the variation will creep in. To produce a bearing set providing the correct bore diameter they combine a "thin" pack of shells with a "fat" pack to create the set. This has been the case with every one of the hundreds of ACL sets I've meaured.

As I've mentioned before...I have measured packs of ACL HX shells that measure thicker than some H shells from other sets. You MUST measure when mixing sets if you presume to create an "extra clearance" set. A blindly "mixed" set isn't good enough and can create problems.

It has also been brought up previously that if the ACL heat shrunk packs have not been opened, and there are no visible measuring marks from a seller measuring them and re-packaging them as mixed/extra clearance/etc sets, then they have not been properly prepared. Certain vendors have already been caught over dishonest representations. Caveat Emptor.

We have been mixing and measuring ACL sets for years now and supplement our BE inventory when their supply wanes.
Ah, right, my bad Deansbimmer. My quick comment was general with regards to a standard set of shells (HX or H), not with regards to mixing the shells in which case I see your point and appreciate your valuable knowledge.
Appreciate 0