Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Believe me you will know when the car is limiting timing, soon after you will go into limp mode

It all depends on how much you track and what 'fast' means for you. It may be that the supercharger works just fine for what you want to achieve and for sure it is TONS of fun to drive
Lots of people feel they are 'fast' but aren't really, so what works with person A does not necessarily work for person B.

Dogbone dogbone on this forum is among the fastest here and he runs a supercharged car, albeit in time-attack style events, not HDPEs. He can do 2-3 laps before the car goes into limp mode but note that his 'fast' is F A S T, so it's possible someone else in his car would never get to limp mode.
(I go to HPDEs as well. In fact, more events are HPDE for fun than time attack. My car is not an ideal time attack car. I just do them because the competition is fun and I like the atmosphere.)

When SYT_Shadow is saying I do 2-3 laps, he's talking about maximum 10/10ths pace laps---with full aero, Pirelli slicks, BBK, suspension, etc. In fairness to the engine, after those kinds of laps, the tires need a break too. Just by backing off a few seconds on the pace, the car can run for long periods.

Let's look at the ultimate situation as a conversational comparison----Formula1. In qualifying, these guys do exactly ONE hot lap and then back off. They're backing off because of the tires. They can't take it. And if you compare the lap times from qualifying to the race lap times, the race laps are MANY seconds slower. Sometimes 5-7 seconds slower. How often do you hear the words "tire management" in a Formula1 race? All the time. Well, in fairness to my car, if I slowed down 6 seconds from my maximum pace, my car could easily run for as long as I want. One day at Buttonwillow, it was a Speed District event where they had open track from 3:30-5PM. I had a set of Michelin hard compound slicks. The hard compound tires are not very fast, but they can run forever. My fastest lap time ever at Buttonwillow is a 1:47. These Michelin tires were almost burned up, so I decided to just hammer on them and go have fun. I drove 30 straight minutes of 1:51-1:52 laps. Ran out of gas. Got gas. Jumped right back out there and ran another 10-15 minutes. Got bored. Brought it in. The engine was fine. So, the 2-3 laps that SYT_Shadow is talking about are basically my "qualifying"-style laps.

Since you're running meth, an oil diverter and you're on street tires, I would not overly worry about overheating right now. And I would definitely not be thinking about removing the supercharger. You've made two large commitments already to combatting the heat. And street tires prevent you from really pounding on that supercharger. Don't get me wrong, you can still overheat the car. All you have to do is throw the car in 2nd gear and do the whole track at 8000rpms. Instant overheat.

For now, go out, drive your butt off, build speed and skill, and have fun. Sounds like the car should be fun as hell to drive!
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11482.50
SonnyJack326.00
kyippee1073.00