Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I agree with your Miata statement

Disagree with the Camaro SS. If it were so wonderful I would have seen at least one fast one at the track so far. Haven't. I'm pretty confident that if GM cannot build their {2015} halo car, a Vette C7 Z51 that won't overheat at the track running with street tires, well then I'll steer clear of anything they make. [possible exception in the Vette GS]

Disagree with the Evora and 911. I've instructed in an Evora and would never, ever buy a car with an engine from a minivan.

I'm not sure where the high end drivers cars are anymore. Maybe McLaren? Regardless I"m not interested

There are many cars that, according to Excel, should stomp on the E9X at the track but do not. M3's in the top run groups are consistently in the pointy end of that run group.
Sooooo much truth here. Once you spend enough time at the track and drive in enough advanced run groups (where people typically have more prepped cars), you see boatloads of M3s and few if any of the cars that supposedly curbstomp M3s.

I've seen this consistently even outside the BMW CCA events - I have driven with MVP tracktime, LAPS Inc, GPS Tracktime, Northwoods Shelby, PCA - and it's always the same story.

There are some platforms that just do it right for the track and M3 is one of them. Anyone who has enough years of experience to trend this can speak to the truth of it. One thing to understand is that the cars you read about in magazines that are beating M3s around the track are all being driven by professional drivers. It's very important to know that your average Camaro or Mustang track pack needs a very skilled driver to compete with an M3. Because the American muscle cars are still a handful and make concessions in certain ways. There is a difference between a car that you can put down good lap times with and one that you can put down good lap times with that is neutral and balanced to drive. Someone driving cars that supposedly beat M3s all over the place is usually an amateur driver (like most HDPEs) and are going to struggle to control the car enough to compete with the BMW.

And yes, the new Miata is awesome for an affordable "new" drivers car. That thing ticks so many boxes the right way.
SDPLV493.00