United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Not an instructor but the group I typically run with measures it as total HPDE event days, not just their own events.

The minimum is >20 days to be in an open passing group, and they have two open groups- one for faster cars and one for slower cars.

Each open group has maximum (be faster than xyz) pacing guidance and people are subject to being dropped down to a point by run group for being dangerous/unaware or too much off-pace.
None of the events here allow open passing in any run group (not including club races, of course). If open-passing was the case, I could see a requirement for needed so many days especially after passing is tested and demonstrated properly.

That's not to say open passing doesn't happen because some people choose to ignore the rules and the corner workers are pretty lenient. I was once passed without a point-by by two cars under braking at the end of the fastest part of the track during a combined instructor/advanced/intermediate session with intermediate passing rules (point by passes only, fewer passing zones). In the session before that one, I got black flagged because my instructor had his elbow occasionally poking through the window.
Appreciate 0