11-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE36TRO View Post
Fair...and I probably would, but for some reason it's a hard pill for me to swallow paying for aftermarket while bumping down diameter from stock being I feel the chassis matches to this size aesthetically. As mentioned below, I may do 19x10 squared just to satisfy both wants if I'm not hindering performance...not to mention being 'that guy' on the track.
aesthetically, yes, 19's look great.
secondary to that, i'd argue that going with 19's with the track in mind is hindering performance. it seems like it is slightly easier to keep pressure in the right range (temperature) with less wheel and more tire. diameter wise, there is still something there- its just tire instead of wheel.
another benefit of 18's is the tire has more body to it to act like a "spring" and behaves more like a suspension component rather than a rubber band on a wheel. berms and imperfections on both the road and track become more pronounced with less tire.

now, take that above statement as theory and opinion, but i think most people will back me on that. there is a compromise with 19's, otherwise, people would more commonly run 19's.

you can still get high performance out of 19's. all the heavy hitters (porsche, mclaren, etc..) at track days have 19's, but they also have massive carbon brakes and massive wheel wells so they don't have to compromise with sidewall height like we would. i think this also helps with tire carcass temperature management because they have more tire everywhere.

getting back to your original question- yes, you can upgrade to potentially lighter weight 19's and gain performance. you can also upgrade to 18's and have more performance.