Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I think the Conti Extreme Contact Sport is the best mix of comfort, cost, and wet traction. If you add dry traction as a priority then the PS4S wins, but In my experience (and I've heard it from others) the Conti is less edgy at the limit which is another streeet tire plus IMO

I hate the DWS and the DWS06. I hated the DW. But this particular Conti is Good Stuff

Colder temps don't make the *good* newer summer tires, the ones that now don't warn you to stay off them until 20 degrees, worse than all-seasons in cool weather, it's not like 15 years ago when summer tires turned into undrivable rocks below 40 degrees. The PS4S and Conti are both friendly sub-40 in the damp. You won't find anybody winning index at an autocross on all-seasons unless it's snowing, and that person will lose to the guy who brought snow tires anyway, because all-seasons are actually no-seasons and suck equally in all conditions making life a boring gray blah experience that you're better off just not living at all

/all-season soapbox
This is great info, thank you. As stated in original post, I'm not too concerned with wet handling since it rarely sees any rain, but cold temps are a whole other story. Today it was about 15 degrees heading to work so something that can handle sub freezing is a necessity. Knowing most can handle it gives me some peace of mind.