View Single Post
      09-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

This problem is multifaceted and won't be solved in the U.S. unless multiple things happen:

- The inherent selfishness endemic in our culture is eased
- Better initial driver training (i.e., no excuse if you don't understand the law ... or, you know, can't read the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" or "Left Lane for Passing Only" signs that are, in some areas, everywhere)
- More punitive fines for serious offenders (i.e., same points/dollars as speeding, to start)
- Improved speed limit awareness (There's that 'read the damn traffic signs' theme again)
- Variations that are at least partially explained by ethnic and socioeconomic factors (Example: The 'Asians drive slow' stereotype is a stereotype partially because there's some truth behind it culturally.)

That this specific driving behavior is rarely an issue in other countries -- even in many developing ones such as in Central and South America, and culturally diverse ones such as France and Turkey -- speaks volumes regarding the above points. Most U.S. drivers don't give a whit about who is around them until who is around them causes something. It's the number one reason I stopped riding motorcycles on public U.S. roads.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9704.00