e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
If the M3 had to shift at 6k RPMs then a 350z would be just as fast?

Okay okay. My turn to play the random hypotheticals game!

If you prevented a 911 GT2 RS steering wheel from turning more than 10 degrees in either direction, the 350z would beat it around the Nurburgring.

No.

That is a completely valid, real world, every day scenario. Are you redlining your car every gear, every drive? Not even remotely close. Normal, day in and day out rpms are 3-6krpm the vast, VAST majority of the time, and the E90X is very tame in that range in the mid-gears (3,4,5). The Z's torque curve is actually meatier with a better shape in those same rpms. I could see it easily feeling more responsive and powerful in that scenario.

An all out max-effort run though the gears @ redline is a totally different story, and that is when the S65 really shines.

Edit 1 - my wife owned a G37S manual coupe for a while with late model VQ 3.7 motor and I spent a LOT of time driving it. Very strong midrange for sure with a good top end. A little unrefined but a very fun street motor for sure.

Edit 2
- after owning an E90 M3 6MT and living with it as a DD car (city, canyons, etc.), the test drive(s) can be very misleading. The tendency (naturally) during a test drive is to redline the car since that's how it's meant to be driven. Here, the car FULLY impresses, more than almost any other car. However, that completely misrepresents what the car is like in normal life. As such, I would urge any would be E9X buyer to pay closer attention and spend more time under 6k rpm during the test drive.
Agree. My mom had a G35 that definitely felt faster midrange than my E92 M.

My E90 335 had a better midrange stock than my M3. With a Cobb tune forget it.

My worst experience was against my brothers APR Stage I GLI. The M3 had to be wound out all the way through 2 gears to pull on the Dub.

It took me buying a Harrop blower to really wake up the midrange.

The E92 M is my favorite M3 and it is a lot of things, but in its stock form it is NOT a fast car, especially in the midrange. If you're coming from a 350z Nismo, you'll be disappointed. Yes it will be faster, but not by that much and it will FEEL slow until you get to 7000 rpm.
Appreciate 0