Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Apartment in Lucerne house in Macedonia. Cars with the house. Your right, once you go off the beaten path you should know the basics or have a translator on your phone that doesn't require internet (consider this a good tip). That said English is the most common second language in Europe so it's ok to assume that the person your trying to talk to understands it, just be nice and not rude. Too many times I see Americans yelling at the guy they're trying to communicate with and that causes issues. I'm guessing this is your point your trying to get across, and I agree, but I also see people trying to go to places that they know people can speak English but they try ( usually terribly) to speak the native tongue and just slow down the whole process (say a tour or ordering food) so usually the native just replies in perfect English to make it stop. Sadly some people don't take the hint...
If you learn no other vocabulary in the language of the country you're visiting, you should definitely learn how to ask if they speak English in that language. It will tip them off and come off more respectful than just rattling off in English right off the bat. I spent a few weeks in Bulgaria a few years ago and found there to be a perfect generational split. Those who went through school before the Cold War ended spoke zero English while anyone younger had the option to go to English speaking schools and spoke English like I do.

It really depends on location. My parents were recently in Iceland where nearly everyone spoke great English while I was actually surprised at how few spoke it in the outer cities/towns in Italy.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0