01-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
A bit off-topic, but it always surprises me when I see pro pit crews during a race retighten in a CIRCULAR pattern with an AIRGUN. Obviously there is tremendous time pressure to get the car back on the track, but this practice would seem to violate the two most basic tenets of proper wheel reinstallation--torquing to a specified value so as to not overtighten, and torquing in a star pattern so that excessive pressure isn't applied asymmetrically to the hub. Especially with the speeds and component stresses involved in racing, how do they get away with this?
The torquing, I'm guessing, is predetermined in the air gun. As for why circular vs star, well that I can't tell you. Maybe it doesn't matter for the race cars (like NASCAR) as the hubs will probably still line up because of the degree of torque from the airgun, thus not allowing it to get stuck at an angle? Maybe their hubs are designed in a special way so that circular pattern won't negatively effect tightening the wheel in a symmetrical pattern?

Good question. That's why center locking wheels are the best for racing applications. Just 4 locks total and you're good

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0