DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_au View Post
Thanks for that Dave.

Is there a way to tell what firmware I have at all? What is the fix for this if I want to keep the car stock and not necessarily have a tune? Could it potentially be carbon build up from short trip driving and not enough spirited runs? I was thinking of putting some techron in or maybe even seafoaming through the intake to try and clear potential deposits?

Pinging isn't knocking is it? It's not an indicator of rod knock or anything at all? Sorry for so many q's I'm just getting a little worried!

Cheers

Javed
You can't be too worried about the car. Like I always say if the car is a daily driver and you never to over 3000 RPM it can last forever, drag cars and race cars go through motors within 1 to a few track days and we are somewhere in there at the safer end of the scale. We can't expect our car to last forever if its driven on occasional track days and harder than normal but they are built to enjoy and when we start listening for noises the enjoyment turns to fear... so relax and enjoy that sensational car.

Pinging is an indication of detonation, but it's a stock tune, so nothing you can do about that. I found a good ECU tune gets rid of that pinging.

The only way to tell what version of firmware you have is with an OBD2 reader used for tuning your ECU/DCT. You should be running 240E ad it does take care of a few issues. An 09 car unless updated has an earlier ECU Firmware
Appreciate 0