DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_au View Post
Hi guys,

I’ve been experiencing some noise on my Dec 09 build E90 M3 DCT that I am trying to diagnose. Obviously I read multitude of threads regarding the “rod bearing” issues with the S65 and have been paranoid ever since buying the car. Car has only 31k km on it and has had full bmw dealer service. I am the third owner (last owner barely drove it). I always warm the car up properly etc. I actually probably don’t drive the car hard enough and baby it too much.

The noise seems to only happen under load when travelling in gear around say 2.5-3k rpm and is extremely light. I never noticed it before and can only notice it with radio off and windows fully down and really listening out for it. It seems to be a bit louder under load when you are in a higher gear going up a hill say. To me it kind of sounds like pinging but I struggle to think it is when I only use BP Ultimate 98 and these modern cars should never really ping.

To me it sounds more like upper noise a metallic rattle more so than bottom end, but obviously with all the rod bearing stuff going on I am freaking out. I cannot reproduce the sound when revving in Neutral. Car is fully stock with no mods and I am thinking it could potentially be the “intake noise” that some people describe?

Any help is much appreciated; I might take it to Mike Weber at Prestige and Performance just to put my mind at ease.

Cheers,

Javed
Yes, do take your car to Mike, I'm going there tomorrow for an oil turnover.
Sounds like pinging alright, a stock tune with 240 E update does ping, and while briefly going back to stock I got pretty bad pinging which is not good at all for the motor. Whilst BP is about up there in 98 fuels I still experienced quite bad pinging with a stock tune, more so under light load. Now it's back to being supercharged no pinging at all :-) I'm not at all a fan of the stock 240E ECU firmware, whilst it fixed issues with the idle air control valve at startup I noticed more issues with pinging running the stock firmware
Appreciate 0