aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM3 View Post
ahaha. My mum has a 125i vert and it develops a ticking noise in the head of the motor because she doesn't thrash it. After i give it a nice 'italian tune', the ticking is gone and it purrs like a kitten.

I also have a few mates that have M3s who don't drive them regularly and when they do drive them, it is often very short distances that doesn't facilitate a full heat cycle. Although their cars have less kays, their cars usually encounter more maintenance issues than mine, which is daily driven - 60 kilometres or more per day.

Moral of the story - M cars need to be driven. However with that statement, they also need to be treated with respect (mechanical sympathy) and serviced appropriately.

I also agree with the previous comment about being able to hear pinging. I will sometimes hear that as well. I didn't hear it on my E46 M3s, but they would usually have a nice vanos ticking noise at times.

Also OP, if there was a serious engine problem - it would be evident at all times, which means that it would be evident at idle as well, and you've mentioned there is no abnormal noises at idle or when free revving. The S65 is a brutal motor and i would expect it to make [more] noises than engines without dat race pedigree. I suggest you take it out immediately and do a 8300rpm WOT shift in it.
When I drive the car gently I hear all sorts of noises and you worry. Then give it a stick, you smile and the everything just disappear. That's an /// engine for you. Enjoy