jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
I like your description, above.

The criminal justice system is typically cited as an example (e.g., with individual racism manifested in juries, judges, parole boards, etc.). If we consider juries (agreeing that there are racist jurors), what is the solution? Should we have more judges overturn jury decisions? Should we have more trials decided by a judge (instead of a jury)? Should we increase the number of jurors in the jury (i.e., making it harder to get a unanimous guilty verdict)? What are other solutions? Our task is to mitigate the effects of individual racism with institutional changes. How long will it take for us to get a signal of improvement if we implement such changes? How will we know that we’ve made things better and not worse?
One question is - do these riots stoke the racist feelings of many who normally have no serious racist tendencies? Does seeing violence propagated in the name of fighting racism further the cause of uniting people?

I think tonight is going to be a pivotal moment in the history of race relations in the USA. If a large number of people of color riot and destroy the white house racism will get a shot in the arm that will last for years. If the protestors do NOT loot, riot or commit acts of violence then perhaps progress will be made. I hope the people controlling and organizing this event understand the significance of what they do in DC and how Americans everywhere feel about it.
Appreciate 0