Thread: Bilstein B8
View Single Post
      02-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

So... installed my pair of B8 rears, replacing stock sachs shocks with about 60,000 total miles on them (car has 105k on it, 45k of that I had MCS on the car). Goal is to get back some rebound damping that the stock shocks immediately disappointed me with when I put them back on at about 80k miles. Was very sad. No more perfect control over big hits. STock shocks only had 35k on them and you could immediately tell the difference, the shocks just weren't able to generate the kind of damping force the MCS could even when turned down to street friendly settings. Hoping the B8's, designed to handle cars that have been slammified, will help without being expensive or sending me down a never ending rabbithole of spring/damper changes. I run ZCP springs on my '08, with extra camber and a dinan front bar.

Stock dumper weighs 2.032kg. Bilstein B8 dumper weighs 2.119kg. So I gained 174g of damping woot, that's way more damping. The bilstein shaft is about 1/2" shorter at the bumpstop cup shoulder than the stock shock fully extended, so there will be slightly less droop travel. THis makes sense for a damper designed for shorter travel to begin with. The body length is within 1mm of the stock shocks, so bump travel is the same.

Haven't driven yet, will report back. Fun fact - if you've already cut holes in your trunk liners for adjusters, it makes installing shocks a snap, took 45 minutes to do both sides.

Edit: drove on them and they don’t suck at all. Need to hit some of my other usual big highway woops and dips that upset the car on she stock shocks to be sure but so far it seems mission accomplished. Ride is pretty much the same.

Last edited by Richbot; 02-25-2018 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11490.00
///Mobbin1478.00