12-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If you feel that way I reckon you should try a Honda S2000, it does exactly what you are looking for in an engine and if you happen to live in the UK you could get yourself a TVR Cerbera 4.2 which again does exactly what you are looking for but on both counts you will be throwing away a more drivable car.

Each to there own I say.
Good observation. Perfect suggestion. However, like nearly all engines with their redlines placed far from the very conservative side, the torque curve will always fall off near the redline and the S2000 is not different is just falls only for about 500 rpm from redline whereas the M3 falls for about a full 2k. The engine just can not breath this quickly at its given size and hence the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Hey KSA, thanks for posting mate.

I will play devil's advocate here.... It think BMW M made the wrong trade off here. I recognize a flat torque curve is good engineering and makes driving the car on a daily basis a good thing but Ms should have all the torque in the last 2000-3000 RPM, screw the rest of the power band.

The last 2000-3000 rpm is where all the action happens. The S65's torque falls off precisely where you want it to be peaking.

I am a big boy, flame away.
The minimum rpm and shape on this dyno biases the apperance of the sharp drop off as well. In reality the engine drops off (or builds depending on which way you trace the curve) from 1k to 3.5k as well. Most of this part of the curve is missing from this dyno. You can see the one that looks more similar to the reported dyno from BMW here.

Last but not least, one reason is to save some room for the CSL! This V8 is not maxed out.
Appreciate 0