Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The only negative to having a totally flat orange peel free paint that I can see would be maintenance of the finish after it is complete. When the paint has some texture it is a little more forgiving and doesn't show fine scratches and swirls the same as if it is totally flat. My brother and I wetsanded and polished his 1993 VW Corrado VR6 about 12 years ago. The final product was amazing but you basically had to be very careful with any type of rubbing or polishing on the finish including wax and glaze application, even by hand. You even had to use some type of QD as a lube when drying the car, and remember these were in the days before QD's were intended to be used on a wet car.

I know the finished product will be amazing and Eric, you are an amazing detailer but maybe you should consider having the complete car covered in Ventureshield once it is completed. That way it will still look flat and awesome but you will never have to polish on the paint itself again.
Hey Jamie,

I agree with what you said; you definitely have to be extremely careful with maintenance once the wet sanding is finished. Technology has come quite a long way since the early 90s: the combined lubricity of QDs + foam pads allows for the prevention of swirling, even on wet sanded paint. 0 PPM water also aids in the process by sidestepping the drying step entirely, but I understand that very few people have ready access to a supply of such water. Its cost prohibitive for most, but the results are 100%. You can see a good portion of my filtering system in this picture:

Here's the driver side door on my E92 prior to correction:

Appreciate 0