View Single Post
      05-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #91
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
It depends on how your track insurance policy is worded. The ones I have dealt with specifically define what an HPDE is, what a non-competitive time trial is, and what a competitive time trial is. With RLI, who I deal with, there are multiple degrees of coverage, with each one getting progressively more expensive.

In the track policy I have, they have very specific definitions:

"“Driver Education Event” means a safe driving program that includes classroom education, technical inspection, and
on-track exercises. The event’s primary purpose is to improve the “covered driver’s” driving skills in a safe learning
environment and under controlled conditions. A “driver education event” does not include “non-competitive time trials”
or “competitive time trials” unless endorsed.

10. “Non-Competitive Time Trial” means an on track exercise during which the lap times of “scheduled automobile” are
recorded for the personal use of the “covered driver”, but not for any competitive purposes.

11. “Competitive Time Trial” means an on track exercise during which the “covered driver” is competing against other
participants, either on the track simultaneously or via timed runs, where placement or time is used to determine prizes
of any sort or value, or where placement or time is used to accumulate points, standings, or rankings of any sort at the
event or in an ongoing competition or series."

Fortunately, in my case, I had competitive time trial coverage.

I would assume that the insurance companies would go to rigorous lengths to determine that you weren't cheating them, including checking your social media to see if you've posted videos with timing data, talking with the event organizer.

For me, I had to get a track incident report from the event organizer so they could determine coverage.

Many of the track organizers in California will post your timing data if you rent a transponder - that could be used to disqualify you, for example.
Wow, there is so much good info in here. I get track insurance through Lockton Motorsports for every track event. I have never considered that there would be different types of coverage, or that certain activities (like timing one's laps) could possibly impact the insurance company's decision if I ever needed to file a claim. This hasn't really mattered that much for me, until now - starting with my next track weekend in a few weeks I am going to start actively timing myself and tracking my progress. I guess I should really do some homework about the different companies out there that offer this type of insurance, and also read up on what exactly is covered or not covered. Thanks for explaining all of this!
Appreciate 0