03-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
The reflectors are not very effective at night with your headlights on because they are so close to the headlights, people are going to see your headlights and parking lights first because they are brighter, not the reflectors. The reflectors are there for when your vehicle is parked or not in operation. If someone hits your car at night while it's parked, I think they'd have a tough time proving that it was your fault, if you weren't in the vehicle.
Yes, that is mainly how they are supposed to function although it can be argued that they serve as a redundant mechanism in the case of headlight failure and so forth if that happens to be the case in your car during the accident, which is a really unlikely combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
There are many, many obsticles in or near roads without reflectors on them.
Ah, I'm not a lawyer, but disabling an existing safety mechanism designed into a product is not the same thing as not having had the safety mechanism in the first place.

Anyway, I just had nasty dealings with an insurance company on a major claim, and I know how hard some try to avoid payment, so I'm probably overly concerned on this one.