View Single Post
      06-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #60
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yep that's the one. I've got some foam on the way as well mostly to act as a secondary restraint so the battery doesn't flop about should my strap and bracket system fale. Guess I'll cut a bit of that and stick it under there when it arrives.

Fwiw, my battery tray floor had 5 M6 threaded holes spaced about 2.5cm apart presumably to accept a variety of battery groups in a pinch, likely a standard 3er part wonder if the 316/318 uses a much smaller battery?

I did a baseplate secured under the front lip/bracket that captures the OEM battery and bolted through the baseplate to the second from the rearmost factory M6 hole, and used 5/32" aluminum flat stock to make L brackets and a strap over top of the battery bolted to the plate and black rubber strips protect the battery from abrasion from the hard stuff and act as a friction-fit to take the compression of the brackets instead of cranking down on the battery case. Whole thing weighs less than 9lb.

I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet it's a prisoner to my roof being replaced right now. But I have left the car off the charger for the past 2 days without starting it and it still wakes up as normal. My car happened to be toward the end of life of its second battery in its 8 years of life.

EDIT: Update: Starting issues I was having with my 3.5-year-old 90aH OEbattery which was always left on a battery tender if it sat for more than a few days and still crapped out prematurely (IMO) are gone. Oh BMW batteries, you so crazy.

Registered the VPH900 as a 40ah.
Battery 1st anniversary update: No issues.