View Single Post
      07-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
They use a computer program that cuts it. The guy that installed it said that if it came up all the way, due to the nature of the Nanofusion material, it wouldn't sit even with the contours of the bumper.

The guy that did it is not the guy that owns the shop and I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I'm hoping to talk to someone knowledgeable at Avery and if they say it should go to the edge then I'll have them redo it. The hood piece goes on next week.

If this is the way all Avery films are on the M3 then I may go visit the installer who does Xpel. Be a shame to remove this and install that but it'd be a bigger shame to respray a bumper that isn't fully covered.
As I mentioned, it's not a matter of the material. You can use an Xpel pattern with any clear film material. It is totally dependent on the installer and where they get their pattern for the computer cut. Installers pay for the pattern so they can cut it on cutting machines. Your installer only has access to the pattern that he has. Either ask him to get a different bumper pattern from elsewhere or find another installer which uses a different pattern.

As I said, a custom install bypasses all this but then your install is dependent on the installer's skill. A good custom install is great but a bad install can be terrible. Going with the computer cut is usually a safe median if you can't find a great custom installer.