View Single Post
      08-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #79
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
simply not true. many employers will take advantage until you present them with the fact that someone will value you more.
Not to be argumentative, but it is true because it is my personal experience and response every time in these circumstances. I didn’t generalize to others, and I do understand that some may entertain competing offers for whatever reason. I do not. I simply congratulate the soon-to-be-former employee on their new position and agree to an appropriate notice period. Door shut tight.

Hypothetically, if an employee had really unique skills or other contributions such that they would be very difficult or impossible to replace, I can understand a manager trying to retain them, but if it was me I’d sleep with one eye open from then on, so to speak. Personally if I had employees like that I would proactively be working to retain them. (The nature of my industry is that there are not people or roles like that, but I still try to be sure my employees are engaged, happy at work, utilized and fairly compensated, as well as have continuing opportunities to develop new skills and move up if they want)
Appreciate 2