4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleck View Post
I have been having this annoying rhythmic steering wheel vibration usually above 80mph on most freeways. However, there are /some/ stretches of freeways where I don't have such vibrations, and there are some where the vibration is quite bad. All the above stretches of freeways seems equally smooth to me.

My front tires are probably in need of replacing and rebalancing. Mech also commented on how the inside of the front tires are wearing faster probably due to improper camber. I'll have those fixed soon but in the mean time any idea why some stretches of road is vibration free while others aren't? and that this only happens above ~80mph?
If your tires are worn and need replacing, do it before you spend a bunch of time trying to find the problem.

They will be balanced and ready to then fix the issue if there is one. A bent rim may be discovered during tire change on the balancing machine. Dirt on the mounting surfaces. You say but how would dirt get in there? It develops chemically because the wheel is aluminum and the rotor is steel. Clean all the old weights and crap off the wheel while it's off the car.

Inside tire wear could be alignment but more likely it's the factory camber settings.
Appreciate 0