MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
That is inaccurate.

A $60k optioned S4 would cost $73,635 for a similiar optioned M3. That is a $13K difference. Many options beyond a $60K S4 the M3 doesn't provide those options so you can't compare a fully optioned S4 to the $73k M3.
The key though is that the price difference in other countries is much larger.
For me it was 61500 for S4 comparable to my M3 with 71000 MSRP (it is 09 though), and M3 has some minor things Audi does not have (that is besides all the major things, of course).

Anyway, I had a chance to run with some new tuned S4's at a track during an Audi Club even, and there is no comparison on the track. Despite being close to equal on straights, they could not hold on in corners as well, and seemed to get noticeably slower closer to the end of session (probably heatsoak or tire overheating). The difference was big enough for a noticeably more experienced driver to be slower in S4.

Having said that, I'd probably take S4 over M3, if I had another car for track. Well, in that case I'd actually take Audi Allroad over any of those, but Audi was "smart" enough to discontinue it.

Not sure if I really have a point here - probably what I'm trying to say, which car is better is very much defined by personal criteria and intended use. Abstract debates have no right answer.
Appreciate 0