Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
To to the OP, you asked this question on the e9X M3 forum, so everyone answering has chosen the e9X. Ask on the e46 M3 forum (M3forum.net), and you'd get very different set of answers.

As a compliment to an F10, the e46 makes more sense, imo-- is more different. Lighter, more visceral, more engaging. The e9Xs benefits are statistical speed (I say statistical because it feels slower at low/mid RPM) and more comfort/isolation-- desirable for some in a DD, but as a "fun car" complement to the F10, much less different.

And before anyone says my view is invalid because my e46 M3 is 30XX lbs and 430 hp, that's my weekend M3. My DD M3 wagon is stock M3 weight/power (including feeling identical to driving my brothers bone stock m3 coupe)-- so I'm getting 30,000 miles/year of stock e46 m3 driving experience!

As for the e46 DSC, since people keep mentioning that-- you can flash M track mode from the CSL on the e46's MK60 DSC unit, which lets you get quite sideways without intervention (or learn to drive and turn DSC off instead using the crutch).

Per BMW, the curb weight difference between them is 234 lbs. BMW's curb weights are "as typically equipped", and option loads and mods do change the weight comparison between any two individual cars. But, that can work both ways. My e46 coupe should be under 3000 lbs, with full interior and a quiet muffler, before this spring. Doesn't mean the average e9X M3 is 600 lbs heavier than the average e46 :P. The average weight between two typically equipped cars should be 234lbs.

My issues with the e9X are...
-The car feels too big on the road when really pushing it (I dislike this in my M5 as well)
-the car feels slower until you start pushing quite hard, at which point you're going too fast for public roads
-the interior feels cheaper/crappier and isn't driver oriented
-I strongly dislike iDrive
-working on it sucks compared to the older cars (main reason I sold my e9X and replaced it with the e46 M3 wagon)

All that said, you shouldn't be basing this on other peoples opinions-- drive both, get the one you enjoy driving more.
How did you get an e46 M3 wagon in the US? Only the coupe and convertible were sold here.
Appreciate 0