03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well the next gen Mustang will be a lot lighter and have a properly implemented IRS, which should make it at least seem a lot more civil. As long as this doesn't mean Ford thinks it can take the Mustang upmarket, I'm OK with it. A turbo four could suit the new chassis well.

Who is going to miss the V6 in a Mustang anyway? With the volume Ford sells (do fleet vehicles count towards CAFE standards?), moving to a more efficient engine in a demographic where the customer likely won't give a shit either way is probably a smart move.

Now, if they were to replace the V8 with a TTV6, that's another story entirely.
The thing is, I think that the customer WILL care. You're already talking about compromise with a muscle car on comfort, consumption, handling (usually) etc. People in the 60's made that compromise so they could have the big engines. Granted bigger displacements were used to net more power rather than turbos in that case and we are moving to a very turbo-friendly market. It's just that even if a turbo 4 puts up big numbers, you're taking away the displacement which is all the cars had to begin with.

In short, this engine makes too much sense to be in a muscle car. The fun of those cars is in the huge wailing block. Even with the rest of the car being engineered to suit the new engine, that engine doesn't suit a muscle car.

We are talking about people assumed to know the difference and have preferences however; its not going to phase the market share of high-school girls who drive the V6.
Appreciate 0