03-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #99
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
To end all discussions about manuell and automatic-trannys ... and if an DCT/DKG ist more than an "auto" or an "manu" ... my infos about the new M3 F32 (no F30!) are:
This next M3 gets an 3.5ltr I6 TTT and an automatic-tranny only ... and because for me the M-DKG is to 100% an manuell-tranny, that meens that the new M3 gets the same ZF 8-Gear-Auto as the new M5!
The engine of the new M3, an inline 6 with 3.5ltr. and 3 Turbos develops more than 450HP and more than 500NM (Redline max 7.500), so that the current M-DKG doesn´t work and the M-GmbH won´t spend the money to make it fit for more than 500NM ... also the ZF-Auto is much cheaper than the M-DKG ... and BMWs M-GmbH has developed the electronic, that it could make this 8-Gear Auto feel like the real M-DKG !!!

So my current M3 with V8 and DKG would be my last one ... and would stay in my garage for long time. The only possible new M3 for me was an "newer" e90 M3 with V8/DKG and CP ... an decision to make this year!

Greets Uli_HH
Hello Uli, nice to hear you posting some rumors (or perhaps stronger information than just "rumors") on the F32 M3. You've posted valuable information here long ago about the E9X M3 before its release!

I do not find any of the details you posted surprising. Although I'm hesitant regarding true automatic transmissions, it is absolutely true that they have greatly advanced in recent years. If they can make a true automatic both feel and perform like a M-DCT, then I would not have a problem owning such a unit.

We have discussed the displacement of the new M3 quite a bit and how to arrive at 3.5l is the question. Will it use the same bore spacing as the N55/N55? Perhaps it will be a stroked version? There is not a tremendous margin available on wall thickness between bores nor on piston speeds to get 7500 rpm. Will it have Valvetronic?

See good discussions here and here. Well maybe not all of these threads are "good discussions" but there are plenty of smart posts.

What do you say mkoesel, 3.5l we are hearing again?
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0