View Single Post
      09-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Good thread lucid.

And good question. I don't know the answer, but tet me post this follow up: Has this effect also been present in race cars? Race cars are purpose built to get around a track the fastest - so, if these soft rides are really outperforming their former rawer, more frantic counterparts, you'd think the race teams would be using this same technology. No?

Obviously there are other factors at play but I think it is a reasonable question. I am not asking you specifically, BTW, its just something for discussion.

Another way to look at it is - suppose you took a factory EVO X and pitted it against an actual EVO X WRC car (if such a car exists - we'll assume it does, or could at least). Assume we then further set them up to have a similar powertrain - engine and gearing, final drive, etc. We'll even throw some ballast in the WRC car (spread it about the whole car, to get a good distribution for the added weight) to make the mass of the two similar. Maybe there are other factors that need to be equalized as well - I don't know. But assume we do that in whatever ways we need to while leaving the chassis tuning and steering exactly the way it is.

Now, after all that which one is faster around the track, and why? I honestly don't know. But I have a hunch the race car will still be faster.
Appreciate 0