View Single Post
      09-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Does more advanced design/tech mean faster ride with less of an edge in general?

I just read the EVO X review on R&T and noticed parallels between the E46 vs. E92 M3 debate and the EVO IX vs. EVO X observations of the author. The hardcore and edgy vs. softcore and less involved issue. It seems that the discussion is somewhat common--even universal?--and probably confirms a trend we have been commenting on the evolution of the M3. Even before the E92 M3 gets here, let me pose this: do you guys think the next generation M3 will follow that trend, and that we'll be seeing a lot of "BMW has gone soft with the new M3" comments in 6 years?

Relevant excerpts from the EVO X article (the guy beats his own EVO IX time with a EVO X with automanual set in auto mode and poor launc control software):

'Also present at the track was a U.S.-spec 5-speed manual Evo IX, which I took for a few hot laps for comparison. "The Evo X is a nicer car," I told Fujii, "but the Evo IX is edgier and quicker."

Fujii responded barely above a whisper: "The Evo IX just seems quicker. I'm positive that the Evo X is faster around the track. The AYC gives it that edge, and you lose nothing with the TC-SST in S-Sport, even in full auto mode."

No way. This time, I had someone clock me. First up was the Evo IX. The car took off like a bullet, and it exhibited amazing balance through the sweepers and esses. The IX clocked in at 1 minute 55.20 sec. Now it was time for the Evo X in full auto mode. The TC-SST was fantastic, shifting exactly where I would have if I were in control. Also, I realized I was doing much less steering through most of the corners because the car wasn't getting out of shape. I went through the esses without any steering correction, virtually flat-out. I crossed the finish line in 1:54.18, more than a second faster than the IX!

This was enough to convince me that the Evo X, despite being a bit softer around the edges, is a superior car.'

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=2
Appreciate 0