Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
if you trailbrake you cant get your braking done before the shift? I developed some trail braking on my own as i advanced even though i didnt know what it was called. seems logical for me when learning to intermingle throttle and steering inputs on exit, unwinding the wheel and applying throttle. seems much less natural for me to release the brake slowly as im turning in, because like most of us i was taught to get all my braking done in a straight line. it however isnt the fastest or best was to maximize your lap times or traction available.

I agree, it is also how I see it. I will carry some braking past turn-in in most corners, which is by definition trail braking.

In my opinion, the downshifting should occur as late as possible in the braking zone, ideally before the turn-in, but still within the braking zone. With some very fast cars or in very specific turns, sometimes a downshift needs to happen past turn-in (just watch some F1 vids), but it is rather rare.

As Car54, I see a lot of students that try to hurry the downshift as soon as they hit the brake pedal. By being patient and doing it later in the braking zone, the speed is slower, so you need much less of a rev increase to match the revs. Less of a blip required, less chances to money shift, less chances to upset the chassis and if the chassis gets unbalanced it is at a lower speed.
This is good advice. I am a fairly novice driver and I would always find myself rushing and making my downshift too early in the braking zone going into turn one at LRP. I would downshift too early, try to blip the throttle, and let off the clutch. Often times the speed was to high and I either didn't blip the throttle high enough or let off the clutch which upset the car. This was magnified because for a novice there is a lot to think about going into turn one there - I'm doing about 120, try to find my braking marker, break hard, heal toe, and try to find the first turn in cone. I just wanted to get the shift out of the way but the way you described it above, what I should be doing is trying to finish most or all of my braking before executing the downshift.

I started to get better at it toward the end of last season but it takes a lot of seat time to get right. My new car has DCT so I will be cheating this season.
Appreciate 0