Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's not a combination gauge of oil and coolant. It's oil temp period. Might be labeled wrong in whatever application is being used.
Are you absolutely positive Mike? There are countless threads stating it's a mixture of the two going back to 08.
There's so much misinformation online it's not even funny. Feel free to link me in PM.
But
But what?

Just because the temperature sensors share the same part number automatically means that the gauge is giving some sort of combined reading?

The coolant temp sensor is 13 62 1 433 076 and is connected to the lower radiator hose on many BMWs, and is mounted in the thermostat on the M3. It's just a generic sensor with a reference voltage, it could be use for diff, transmission, or taking your temperature. This shouldn't lead to the conclusion that one sensor provides both values.

Think about it - how would one sensor give you a reading for both coolant and oil when they don't mix?

Having a "combined" sensor for both could be catastrophic. Oil and coolant heat up at dramatically different rates. You could have your coolant temps reach 212F before oil even reaches 120F.

Edit: Going to look more into this tomorrow. Oil temp sensor has got to be somewhere else. I'm going to unplug that connector just for kicks once I get my M3 back from the sideskirt install.
Maybe it's the location Mike? It is located in the water pump. But when you look through parts for oil temp gauges this is what comes up. Part #16. On older NON S65 Models it is located on the cylinder head.