09-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #288
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quite possible. I think demand will eventually force manufactures of most performance cars, especially those costing over 50K, to move to a DCT. As time goes on it would appear that more and more people are willing to give up clutch control for better performance, and the DCT is sort of the pinnacle of performance when it comes to transmissions. Americans, particularly buyers of long-running nameplates like Corvette, Mustang, Camaro with a lot of heritage, are perhaps less willing to dispense with the manual transmission tradition. But it will happen eventually.
I see where you're going. As the DCT technology gets more wide spread (and more importantly costs go down and reliability is proven to be high) it could very well become the premier AT for luxury/sport cars. And I kinda hope that does happen!

It's just a matter of when each manufacturer is going to stop sitting at the sidelines and jump into the pool. Maybe GM might do it at the middle of the C7 run as an "enticement" for early C7 buyers to upgrade!
Appreciate 0