08-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That seems like a minor reason to not like a car... exhaust options will be available so the sound will be customizable. Although I agree that a great sounding car is a plus and part of the selling features, I would not ever make a decision based on this alone. So you would pass up all other characteristics of the car that are better than almost all of its competition because of sound? I guess some people choose cars for performance and others choose for other reasons (badge, aesthetics or sound).
I don't pick a car so i can be faster round a course or in the straights. If that is the only reason, we would all be driving GTRs. I choose one that gives me driving pleasure at the price i can afford. Sound is a very big part of a car's soul. U get hammered by the sound the whole time when u are behind the wheel. It's like marrying a woman with a voice that irritates u. How to live with her everyday? Changing exhaust does not eliminate the irritating induction note of the car. As to the other characteristics of the car, the PDK isn't any better than the DCT, the steering feel is artificial, and the interior ergonomics isn't to my liking. There is no denying that the car is more agile and sharper than my M3, but as a whole package, it doesn't impresses me at the level i had expected it to. Do i care that the 991 is quite a lot quicker at the Ring? Honestly, I couldn't care less. The Porsche badge also has no lure for me.
Appreciate 0