08-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #22
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Stupid comment. JFK was a true hero and changed the world... Senna was just a great racing driver. Leave it at that.
I don't think we need to disrespect one to praise the other. To say Senna is not a true hero is to say "I know nothing about Senna". Try saying that in Brazil and see what kind of reactions you get...

As I said before, Senna was a great man who happened to be a great driver. His work, influence and achievements outside the race tracks were no less impressive than his superhuman driving skills. And boy, could he drive! I was watching the race live on TV when he crashed and my crying eyes were glued to the TV for the rest of the day. For me and millions os people in my home country, it felt like the country had lost its soul.

JFK is part of America's history and he did change the course of history. I think he deserves the same respect Brazilians give to Senna. If there are more visitors to Senna's grave than to JFK's, it probably only means that Brazil is the largest catholic country in the world and, for catholics, it is important to pay respects to the deceased at their grave yard. I have been to Arlington National Cemetery and payed my respects to JFK. I have never been to Senna's grave in Sao Paulo... Does this have any special meaning? Of course not.

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-14-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0