View Single Post
      11-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #85
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Being the owner of a 135i, I can see why people like FI cars--it really is a fun car to drive. Faster, cheaper, easier to upgrade than an M3--not a bad deal.

That being said, I don't think that the M division is something that appeals to the masses anyway, so why change an old philosophy? You can go FI with other cars in your line, that's fine, but for the M division, I think staying NA is better.

For example, my dad has an '07 M Coupe--sure my car is faster than his in a straight line, but doesn't have 1/10 of the soul. It appears there will be no future M versions of the Z4, but you are going to have an M version of the X6? The X5? This makes no sense to me--you are going to have soccer moms driving MX6's and have no idea what M is supposed to mean.

To be honest, I think BMW took too big of a jump with the N54, and you can get M-like performance out of a 1 or 3 for a fraction of the cost of an M3. So they come out with a NA V8, which is a very nice engine, but is one that will still get burned by a 335 in a straight line on the street.

This appears to be another "we don't know where we are going" move from BMW. Sad to see.

Not to start this shit again, but the M3 is faster in a straight line than the 135 and 335 (stock!), most likely the M coupe is actually faster also.

I do not think this will be the end of NA engines in M cars. Even if it was, I have faith that the M division engineers can still deliver the experience they want.
Appreciate 0