View Single Post
      11-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

I suspect that you will get opinions all over the map on this one, so here's one waypoint...

In addition to my E92 M3, I too have a JK Wrangler (Sport not Rubicon). To me this is the best of both worlds. I drive the Wrangler when the weather is bad, parking spots may be iffy, when I want to take my dog, etc. And I drive the M3 for therapy, on nice days, on weekends, on back roads, etc.

To me a car like the E92 M3 is 50% performance and 50% looks and lines - both of which are subjective. But I love the lines on the E92 from all angles. And, as you said, the S65 NA engine is a peach.

I recently opted to buy out the lease on my M3 because I decided that the F30's (and likely the F80/F82's) looks and lines were not anywhere near as fine as the E92. As one example, just take one look at the ugly hood cutline crossing above the Roundel on the F30, totally ruining the flow and lines of the hood as opposed to the integrated hood cutline on the E90/E92/E93. And I felt there was no way an FI engine would meet my needs/desires as much as the sweet NA S65 mill on the E92. I am way happy with my decision and will likely keep the E92 M3 for many years and never look back.

The M5 discussion is really apples and oranges. It's a different beast altogether. I have not driven it so I have no opinion on the performance. But I have been up close to it many times studying the looks and lines, and I am not a fan of the F10's lines at all, except perhaps from the rear. And the manufactured/piped in engine noise is hokey.

I voted for you to go the E92 route (I'd do Frozen Brilliant although I love IB).

As I said, you should get lots of opinions masquerading as advice on this one.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Appreciate 0