View Single Post
      12-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
half those claims are nonsense, and the rest are marginal at best. are you trying to solve a problem with this?
Not trying to solve anything but curious about the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
These are Dodge truck/Viper thermostats but they'll fit our S65/S85 engines.

OEM coolant thermostat opens at 179f. The 880090 Motorrad is 190f. They also make 180f and 170f thermostats. We've used ones from Stant and Gates here at our shop as well.

Engine oil needs to reach at least 212f to be able to burn off condensates etc and if the engine/oil can't do so then your oil suffers. If your oil suffers, your engine suffers. If the oem coolant thermostat opens at 179 then the engine is taking longer to get the oil to that 212. If you replace the tstat to a 190 then you reduce that window and in a street car the engine can potentially get to temp faster. Generally, we might reduce the tstat temp for a track car, and raise it for a street car. The engine oil thermostat is also very clunky and we're working on a better solution for more accurate temperature maintenance.

Different setups and climates can dictate different needs. What works for Jeup in Michigan may be counter productive for us here in Texas. Jeup also does mostly S85 stuff- those M5 and M6 are SMG cars. Fine tuning takes some experimentation.

If you can, can you explain what the purpose of lower thermostat for track cars?

I understand a thermostat has wax that melts at a preset temperature and opens within 3-4F of the set temperature. Fully open will be around 15-20F higher than the set temperature.

I assume that means the lower temp Tstats are reduce the fully open window to be lower to aid in cooling the engine down. I must be missing something, as I would imagine the engine runs above fully open all the time during heavy use (track days) and we are at the mercy of the cooling system's capability of heat exchanging. Correct me if I'm missing something (I most likely am.)
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services

Last edited by derbo; 12-10-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
94jedi830.00
BOOF-M34451.50