View Single Post
      09-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #167
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post
I've used a set R888's (255F/275R) for one event. I'm quite happy with these tires. I'll use them again this week-end.. They're not the faster tires out there, but they have noticeably more grip than even the RE11's, they seem to handle heat very well (although I have yet to drive them on a very hot day), and they squeal less. In the rain, they're just OK. But, altogether, at $800 for 4 tires, I think they're a pretty good deal.

BTW, there are two versions of the R888: one with reinforced sidewalls (that's what I have), and one without.
Well, I used my R888's again this week-end at VIR. Friday and Saturday were very hot (95+). The tires worked very well early in the sessions, but overheated and became greasy towards the end. I started the first session Friday morning at 30 psi in the front and 32 psi in the back (which is what I use with PS2's and RE-11's). When I came back to the paddock, they were over 40 in the front, and over 45 in the rear. I lowered cold pressures to 26/28 later in the day, but it didn't completely solve the problem. Today was cooler and better.

Having said that, the overheating was manageable and I haven't experienced any abnormal wear issue. I think the tires have at least two more events in them.