View Single Post
      09-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #162
bfetch
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I heat cycled both my sets of 888's and they still sucked.I have never heat cycled my RA1's and always have started their life at full tread depth and have never chunked and last 200-300% longer than the 888's!888 were a big step backwards for Toyo!
Not to pick nits or anything, I didn't say chunked but shear/shred of the tread blocks on the 888s.

The 888s would appear to have a soft compound compared to the RA1s but perhaps there's something about driving style when comparing how to hustle a Miata vs. the M3. I know you pretty-much have to have a fairly high, we'll call it "rotational velocity" , in the Miata to get a fast lap which would put higher lateral loads on the blocks vs. a less sliding approach in the M.

*shrug*

To each their own I guess but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the M on full-tread RA1s. They're good in the rain on the Miata but I could see them not feeling 100% planted (block squirm) when used on the M.

Back to the subject of this sticky thread though:
We're not running R-comps (yet) but did upgrade to RE-11s. Those have been good so far but I think I need to play with the front pressures some more as there was a bit of roll-over from 2 days at the Glen.

These are stock sized 19" replacements too BTW...no 18s here.

L8R,
Brandon
Appreciate 0