View Single Post
      08-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #159
bfetch
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB M3

888s practically REQUIRE shaving & heat cycling before hard use

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums.com View Post
I don't think they make RA-1's in our size (haven't checked) but if they do... it's much better than the 888's... They are actually in the process of bringing RA-1's back into production, as so many of the amateur racers (Spec Miata etc...) have all complained as well.

If you've already spent the money on the Triple 8's... I can at least share with you... most have mentioned they actually like 'more' Air Pressure than the RA-1's did.

I don't know what baseline you may have had with another race tire... But hope this helps.

IMO... Hoosier Road Race Tire is a good Compromise, or Kumho V710... (Again... Kumho sizes may not be as wide a variety).

Good luck,

Dave
Dave (and anyone else running 888s),
As you note, they're bringing back the RA-1s but for what (I think) is the wrong reason. The 888s do not last nearly as long as the RA-1s did plus they're a bit more sensitive to being shaved and heat cycled properly before use.

Granted, this is coming from a Spec Miata racer (gotta love 2400# w/driver ) and not the one who drives the M on track (that's the wife's job - see, I get to race a Miata ) but I learned a lot about reading the 888s and how they wear.

A vast majority of the guys complaining about them were pointing to a longevity issue (they do have a shorter life than the RA-1s which I think made people expect the same from the 888s) and significant tearing even when shaved (2/32 for the "fast" guys).

Proper care & feeding needs to start before they're put on the car & goes a long way towards decent life.

Best suggestion I can make for a new set would be the following:
Shave to 4/32 (on a heavy car you wouldn't want the super-tall tread blocks - too easy to shear/tear)
Do an easy 20 minute session on-track (maybe 7/10ths?)
Swap them for another set and don't touch until day 2

Day 2 comes around (shave, heat-cycle, 24 hour "cure") and you should have a fine set of track tires.

Anyway - have fun out there and be safe!
Brandon
Appreciate 0