07-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
E90_M3_Dubai
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 - 11 E71 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
That is not entirely true. A more effective oil cooler will reduce peak oil temperature as it is able to remove more thermal energy in the same time period as a smaller cooler. Typically, larger coolers are more effective but proper design can effect the cooler's efficiency.

Think of it this way: if you put an infinitely large oil cooler on your vehicle, you would never be able to heat up the oil at the return line.

And I agree, running the same oil cooler on a NA vs FI engine, the FI engine will always run hotter due to the increased waste heat produced in the engine (more fuel, more heat). That said, if you run a good synthetic engine oil, 260F is still not going to cause much worry. I used to run 290F in a big turbo VW 1.8T all day long and never had any issues before selling the car. Some race forums consider 300F oil temperatures nothing to worry about if using a good synthetic oil.

Cheers,
with all due respect to your VW experience and the theoretical stuff about oil coolers in general, I'm talking about real-life BMW E9X Oil cooler experience I've installed CSF oil coolers and I've finally used M24 oil cooler and BOTH had no significant effect on idle or daily driving temps , they do a "better" job than OEM cooler in reducing the recovery time as I said but not really reducing oil temps .. I'm not talking about VWs or NA M3s here , I'm the owner of a 720+whp E90 M3 and I literally live in the desert ! lol so I kinda know a thing or two about high oil temps

cheers
GINTANI STAGE X 723WHP | Built Motor | SYVECS S6+ ECU | SPEC Dual Plates Stg 3 | Recaro Sporster CS | 6 pt Harness | CAE Shifter | Rear Seat Delete | KW V2 | H&R Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | MRF ICEBOX KIT | EWS Titanium Custom Intake |ARH headers | 4.10 Dinan Diff | DSS CF Shaft | DEFIV Rear Differential Brace | M24 Oil Cooler| Toucan Screen
Appreciate 1
Makaveli7116.50