View Single Post
      01-08-2024, 04:16 PM   #5
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
A good real-life test you can perform is to take a pen, a piece of paper, and a thicker material, such as a piece of cardboard.

Lay the tip of the pen on the paper and push down slowly to observe how the weight is now causing the paper to be pushed down. You'll notice that it doesn't push down in just one singular spot. it typically starts outwards then towards the point of contact.

Next, reinforce the bottom of the paper with a slightly thicker material, in this case, a piece of cardboard. Observe the same scenario again and notice that it now requires more force to push down. thus prevent deformation.

In this case, the distribution of force is now spread across a larger surface area. This minimizes stress points, which, in this case, would be where the GTS/GT4 wing is mounted. The added support counteracts the downward force applied at the top of the airfoil to the trunk. Because our trunks are made of aluminum, they are easily deformed when direct contact is made.

You sandwich the trunk between the wing mount and trunk plate because the GTS/GT4 wing mounts are bolted in from the bottom. This configuration creates pressure pushing up against the trunk, generating a clamping force and resulting in a more rigid surface.

At least that's how I look at it..

A good example is the APR wing mounts; they feature extended mounting plates to distribute force evenly, preventing deformation. Some wing mounts utilize the outermost edge of the trunk, effectively leveraging the double-layer pinch seams to mitigate deformities as well.
the paper analogy doesn't work (i actually tried it out of curiosity, can post pictures if you want haha). other mount types make sense. i'm specifically thinking about this burkhart one that's just a plate from underneath.

if the whole surface of the plate was somehow secured to the trunk lid (epoxied on for example), then it makes sense. the whole plate is engaged, and you're now trying to deform a much larger piece of alu, so it's stronger. but in this configuraiton, it's just a glorifed washer. if there were lift on the spoiler, ok fine that makes sense. but i don't get the downforce piece.

or are you sayinf that it's helpful because now the entire foot of the spoiler is engaged, instead of just the two screwheads? in that case, why make it so much bigger than the foot of the spoiler?

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0