Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Correct. Learn technique and ingrain the good habits on a slower car and more "moderate" tires.
I disagree. Gripper tires allow you to go faster. Period. I can't remember a time when a person was time keeping that they said they were slower on stickier tires.

What R-comps do is mask the mistakes that will ultimately lead you to exceed the limit of grip and lose control of the car at a higher rate of speed. This is why, my opinion, you see more offs that result in a crash in advanced groups. With an R-comp...you're likely going +10mph faster off track vs those with street tires. So you go off quicker, further and more likely to hit something. R-comps tend to snap vs progressively squeal and lose grip so it is much more difficult to regain control...so I think there is a lower save % as well.

I also disagree with using MDM as a gauge of your driving. There are a couple of common stages for most drivers. One of them is learning to control the rear axle. Unlike the front wheels...the only way to really know what is going on with the rear axle is through the seat. MDM numbs that sensation since it intervenes when it senses slip angle. Good drivers know how to maintain some slip angle in the tires. Even worse...a stock E9X M3 is likely one of the faster cars in any group. So you slaughter the field because of the car (with MDM) and move into advanced. Then you realize that you need to turn DSC off but now you are going much faster with a lot more risk and a certain expectation that comes with most advanced groups.

I would never tell a student to turn off DSC due to liability for the DE org. If things like lawyers and lack of personal accountability didn't exist...I'd tell the student to turn that sh*t off.

I lived this mistake of driving with DSC on in my 330Ci...luckily nothing bad happened but you really are missing out on 50% of the capabilities of this car by driving with MDM on.

In the end...turn DSC off from the start and drive slow.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 3