12-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #134
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Nothing wrong with the 235/45R18 that I can see. Given that the car does not need the height stagger to work correctly (some do, esp in regard to traction control, but the BMW doesn't seem to care) it is extra complexity for not a whole lot of gain, but there's nothing to say you can't do it.

Fuel mileage would not make the decision for me, as the difference there would not be very great. Phantom miles, maybe, but a couple percent over the course of a few months is usually not a big difference. If you feel like it's worth the trouble though, I do not think there would be any major downside other than perhaps fewer tire choices in matching pairs vs all same size.
Honestly the mileage isn't the biggest concern, just the phantom miles. I'll rack up enough real ones on my own. I've decided on a square setup simply to be able to rotate them. Plus I can't help thinking a larger tire might help combat wheelspin (however little the difference between the -40 and -45s might be) in really crappy conditions.

Thanks Ben. I'll try putting a package together and give you a shout when I'm ready. Thanks!

Paul
Appreciate 0